DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
- JOB DESCRIPTION POST ONE
- JOB TITLE: Secretary General
- SALARY SCALE: COMS$ 141,311 per annum plus allowances
- PURPOSE OF THE JOB: The Secretary General shall be the Chief Executive of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), appointed by the Authority and duties include, but are not limited to:
i. Service and assist the Organs of the Common Market in the performance of their functions;
ii. Act as the Secretary to the Authority of Heads of State and Government and the Council of Ministers and keep the functioning of the Common Market under the continuous examination;
iii.Ensure that the objectives set out in the COMESA Treaty are attained and shall, either on his own initiative or on the basis of a complaint, investigate a presumed breach of the provisions of the Treaty and report to the Council in accordance with an investigative procedure to be determined by the Council;
iv.On his own initiative or as may be assigned to him by the Authority or the Council, undertake such work and studies and perform such services as relate to the aims of the Common Market and to the implementation of the provisions of the Treaty;
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post graduate degree in Economics, Management, Social Sciences or related disciplines; 15 years in Management with strong leadership role; experience in managing a large organization is essential. Experience with regional organization is an added advantage.
- WORKING LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all of these languages will be an added advantage.
- OTHER INFORMATION
i.Location: Successful applicant will be based in Lusaka but will required to undertake significant duty travel.
ii.Terms of Appointment: 5 years; Renewable for a second and final 5 year term.
iii.Expected commencement of services: July 2018
iv.Legal form for Competitors: Only Nationals of COMESA member States are eligible.
- FINAL DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted through Department of Foreign Affairs on the prescribed COMESA Application Form, accessible on http://www.comesa.intl.
Closing date: 06th February 2018.
Contact person: Mr. Marco Larsen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- APPLICATION SUBMITTED DIRECTLY TO THE SECRETARIAT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Applications should contain the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae, present and permanent address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and details of the applicant’s motivation for applying for the position and other information that the applicant considers appropriate including when he/she is available to assume duties. It shall also include details (including contact addresses and telephone numbers) of at least 3 references