High level side event on Africa's Blue Economy
‘Seychelles has built a global reputation as a pioneer in promoting sustainable oceans-oriented growth’ said the Vice-President of the Republic of Seychelles Mr. Vincent Meriton on Saturday 8 February 2020.
As a nation, we have recognised and paid very close attention in understanding the principles, which the Blue Economy relies on. Those principles are deeply embedded in all of our national development strategies and policies. Underlined Vice-President Meriton during a high-level event on the Blue Economy held under the theme of ‘‘Unlocking the full potential of Africa’s Blue Economy- A continental strategy for joint action”.
The development of a sustainable blue economy is of strategic importance to implementation of Agenda 2063 flagship projects such as the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) that aims to accelerate intra-African trade and strengthen Africa’s common voice and trading position in the global market place.
Having the Blue Economy Strategy will guide the development of an inclusive and sustainable blue economy that becomes a significant contributor to continental transformation and growth. This is achieved through advancing knowledge on the following:- marine and aquatic biotechnology; environmental sustainability; the growth of an Africa-wide shipping industry; the development of sea, river and lake transport; the management of tourism and fishing activities on aquatic spaces; and the exploitation of deep sea mineral and other resources.
The objectives of the side event were:
1. Official presentation of the Continental Blue Economy Strategy and the coordination mechanism for its
2. Solicit input from African leaders to the recommendations from the High Level Panel.
3. Trigger, amplify and accelerate action for a sustainable ocean economy by key stakeholders.
4. Provide a platform for policy-dialogue on, leadership, partnerships and cooperation at all levels in facilitating a coherent, coordinated and efficient implementation of the Continental Blue Economy Strategy
Other speakers and presenters at the event were:
- H.E Mr. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
- H.E Ms. Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Norway
- H.E Mr. Antonio Guterres, UN Secretary General
- H.E. Amb. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture of the African Union
- H.E. Mr. Quartey Thomas Kwesi, Deputy Chairperson of the African Union Commission
Vice-President Meriton was accompanied by Dr. Marina Confait, Principal Secretary for the Department of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Kenneth Racombo, Principal Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador David Pierre, Seychelles Permanent Representative to the African Union and Senior Officials from the Blue Economy.» All news