PRESIDENT ON STATE VISIT TO MAURITIUS
President James Michel will be travelling to Mauritius this week on a State visit, where he will be the Chief Guest at the National Day Celebrations for the 44th anniversary of independence of Mauritius on 12th March.
During his visit, President Michel will meet with the Mauritian Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam and President Anerood Jugnauth as well as other members of the Mauritian Government.
Discussions are expected to focus on the threat of piracy to both countries, the joint management of the extended continental shelf in the Mascarene Plateau Region, as well education, health and Indian Ocean Commission cooperation.
The President will be accompanied by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Jean-Paul Adam, the Special Adviser for Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Jeannette d’Offay, the Special Advisor for Land Use and Housing, Mr. Raymond Chang-Tave, and the Director for Treaties in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Sandra Michel.
Recent official visits
- Pravind Jugnauth, who was at the time the Vice Prime Minister of Mauritius, came on a mission to Seychelles in March 2011, on the occasion of the 9th Seychelles- Mauritius Bilateral Commission. During his visit, Seychelles and Mauritius signed a Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement as part of ongoing efforts to facilitate cooperation between the two countries.
- Prime Minister Ramgoolam was amongst the guests of honour during the swearing in of President Michel as President of the Republic in 2006.
- President Michel undertook a State visit to Mauritius in March 2005, where he was Chief Guest for the National Day celebrations of Mauritius.
- President Michel paid an official visit to Mauritius in January 2005 for the High-level Meeting on the elaboration of the Mauritius Strategy for the further implementation of the Barbados plan of action for the sustainable development of small island developing states.
- In December 2004, the Prime Minister of Mauritius at the time, Mr. Paul Berenger paid his first official visit to Seychelles.